Re: Aspect ratios in SVG: Numbers or integers?

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 2010, at 12:43 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser@apple.com> wrote:
>>> We have aspect-ratio in media queries:
>>> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#aspect-ratio>
>>>
>>> It would be nice if there were some consistency.
>>
>> Right, I definitely support allowing a single number defining the
>> ratio, just as MQ does, precisely for consistency on that front.  But
>> it's not very easy to use - I don't think most authors will
>> intuitively recognize that 1.77 corresponds to 16:9 - so I'd also like
>> a two-number version.
>
> I'm lost.  aspect-ratio is documented in CSS3 as a ratio, which is a two-integer rational number (for an integer, you even have to say /1):

Man, I would have appreciated it if someone had pointed that out to me
earlier.  I saw <ratio> used in MQ, but couldn't immediately find the
definition of it, and didn't find it in CSS3 Values, so I assumed that
when people were talking about it they were just referring to a
number.  Somehow I never looked at any of the examples in MQ either.

Um, never mind then?  We'll just use <ratio>.  Problem solved, discussion over.

~TJ