Re: [Xsltforms-support] Is XForms a failure to learn from?

Hi Alain,

It would be interesting to hear people's views on the lack of 'success' of
XForms, from a historical perspective, from the people who put the effort
in to create the recommendation particularly.

Was the problem for XForms simply that two commercial giants had differing
approaches to the same problem of declarative forms?  Infopath from
Microsoft and XForms from (via) IBM? More recently Adobe has created
another forms solution too.

IBM put effort into browser based XForms as Ubiquity but that seemed to
gain little attention. There was another effort too in FormFaces. Once
Microsoft had a separate product line in Infopath there was little
incentive for them to add MVC style forms to Internet Explorer.

Personally it seems to me that the original spirit of browsers and of the
web in general for that matter is being lost to commercial interests. On
that basis it seems to me the W3C as an ultruistic organisation should just
make its own browser with ALL its XML standards implemented. It would find
a user-base I am sure, an Apache Licence seems fitting model.

Steve Cameron