RE: Custom functions (Major re-write, please review)

Nick,

I've had a look at this and I have a few questions/observations.

1) If the XForms implementation supported XQuery them how would the body of the function be declared:

<function signature="my:clip($values as xs:decimal*, $threshold as xs:decimal) as xs:decimal*">
   <script type="application/xquery">
      for $v in $values
      where $v le $threshold
      return
         $v
   </script>
</function>

Is the above example sufficient or would you use some namespace/context prefix, like that which you describe for JavaScript, to identify parameters declared in the function signature?

2) Do we really need the script and sequence elements? We could do away with both of these elements as follows:

* Move the type attribute up to the function element.
* The return type defines whether the result is a sequence or not. Therefore, there's no need to explicitly use a sequence constructor instruction.
* To my mind, and this is a personal opinion, separating the body from the signature declaration, by placing it in a script element, seems to distance it from its signature declaration. I'd feel more comfortable writing the body of the function as the content of the function.

If we did away with the script/sequence element then how would we identify plain XPath expressions as the body of the function:

<function signature="my:foo($p as xs:decimal*) as xs:decimal">
  sum($p)
</function>

Would it be enough to make the type attribute optional and in its absence the default behaviour is to evaluate the body as XPath?

3) The override attribute's semantics is very clear and precise but I was wondering whether we could introduce a 'use-when' mechanism that allows us to provide a broader control over when custom functions, and other features for that matter, are used. It would be statically evaluated. The 'use-when' concept is already well understood by XSLT and XProc users. The use cases include:

* Only use this declaration when using a particular XForms implementation: use-when="system-property('xf:vendor') = 'Orbeon'"
* If the default behaviour is to override then to disable that: use-when="not(function-available('my:foo'))"

Now, I admit that the second use case looks a bit clumsy compared to override="no". May be there's room for both?

Regards

Philip