Re: Several updates to XPath Expressions Module

Hi Nick,

The XPath expression spec itself still contains the language about XPath
version and XPath 1.0 compatibility mode.
This is consistent with the resolution we made to keep but soften XPath
1.0 when we changed XForms version from 1.2 to 2.0.
I now there has been a proposal to just remove it from Leigh, but I've
expressed my opposition to that, including an email that got no response.

The rationale to keep the functionality is based on the simple fact that
it is functionality easily achieved by compatibility mode that smooths
transition from XForms 1.x to 2.0.

As for where to add these functions, I thought of possibly creating a
separate section, but in the end I just went with the current organization
for a few reasons.  First, it is not worth spending a lot of time
spit-shining this aspect of the spec when a note within the function
description as I've done is good enough.  Second, it seemed like there
were other functions that would have to move, like id().  Third, it seemed
like the rationale was not just XPath 1.0 compat but authoring ease, due
to consistent xf namespace usage and in some cases complexity reduction
(compare the example of eval-in-context() with the same one in eval()).

The net is that I'd rather we focus on higher value issues, like the fact
that the XForms 2.0 says that the expressions module defines how the
expression produces compute references, but then the XPath expression
module doesn't define it.  I'm going to try to deal with that today.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/johnboyerphd
Blog RSS feed: