Re: An heresy about labels for XForms 1.2

Personally, I believe that this is long overdue, as labels in the current
structure have to be some of the most irritating aspects of XForms.

A couple of use cases to consider:

<xf:repeat>
</xf:repeat>

is not an usual situation for XForms usage (yes, I know it's technically
illegal because of the way that HTML is specified, but bear with me)

Without knowing apriori the substrate structure around this form fragment,
the label should end up repeating multiple times, once for each property.
This is probably not the desired goal. However, rendering this so that it
appears in a consistent manner with CALS tables elsewhere is one of the CSS
nightmares reserved for the truly damned.

To me, the logical mapping for this would be:

           <th><xf:label for="_foo">Foo</xf:label></th>
           <th><xf:label for="_bar">Bar</xf:label></th>
           <th><xf:label for="_bat">Bat</xf:label></th>
<xf:repeat nodeset="records/record">
</xf:repeat>

Not only does this turn the labels into column headers, but it also makes it
far easier to render this kind of structure.

Similarly, if you have mediatype content, labels can be problematic. For
instance, consider:

<xf:output ref="myImageUrl" mediatype="img/*">
     <xf:label ref="../myImageUrlTitle"/>
</xf:output>

In the above case, it's often preferable to render the label either above or
below the picture, but the CSS to do this is actually pretty complex,
especially when dealing with floating content.

is far more self evident in its execution and works on the same context as
the output rather than having to ascend to the original context.

I think the biggest argument for @for would be in languages such as SVG,
where labels may very well be specified at a very different part of the
underlying rendering than the associated controls. The containment structure
can be worked around somewhat there, but having independent labels could
make development of these controls considerably less of a headache.

I'd recommend strongly that we incorporate @for into xf:label and possibly
into xf:message as well (modeless xf:messages in particular would be a very
good candidate, as these may as often as not appear either in tooltips, to
the right of or below the corresponding component, all of which have
rendering issues.

Kurt Cagle
XML Architect
*Lockheed / US National Archives ERA Project*