Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

Hi, Mark-

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm glad to see the XForms folks
participating more actively.

Mark Birbeck wrote (on 9/22/09 10:53 AM):

> I would vote for keeping these in a general-purpose DOM spec.

But they aren't general-purpose... for example, they are meaningless in
SVG.

HTML has very specific meanings and behaviors for them, so it has to
redefine them anyway.

It's better to have them defined in one place than in two, and the
logical place to define them is where they are always applicable.

> As you point out, XForms uses its own events, but really it should use
> the events you mention, and may do in a future version.

In that case, it could refer to HTML5 for the definitions, or create a
small dedicated spec for form-related events which extends DOM3 Events.
  It should also contain an FormEvent interface the inherits from
UIEvent, and the set of forms-centric event types.

> Also, you can imagine other scenarios, such as voice markup, making
> use of these event names, independent of HTML.

Conceivable, but VoiceXML [1], for one, doesn't even use DOM3 Events,
much less those events.  If it needs those events in the future, it
would probably be better to have a dialog about which events all
forms-related technologies should share... I don't think those three
would be the right choice, or the only event types.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml21/

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs