Re: Some questions about dialogs

Even accepting that the run-time dialog is mapped directly to markup, same
as a group or a switch case, doesn't "close the door" on using it multiple
times simultaneously because we have XForms repeat.

The repeat wraps around the dialog and makes one for each node in the
nodeset.  Each dialog stores its data within the subtree of that node.
Making a new dialog is an insert.  One would still separately show and
hide the new dialog.  In order to do so from outside the repeat, one would
have to first set the repeat index, then show the identified dialog.

Sure the bit about the repeat index is a bit less direct than ideal, and
sure it would be nicer to have the dialog component contain its own data
model to be created any time the component is instantiated, but given how
relatively rarely we expect multiple simultaneous instances of the same
dialog, it seems reasonable to allow it to be a bit harder to do in our
first release of XForms dialogs.

The main thing is that we've thought through this enough to know that the
simpler dialog construct we're adding now has no technical obstacle that
would prevent it from being used later with a component or subform
technology.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: