Re: @if and @src (on bind), and submodels

My first reaction to @if on bind was similar to Mark's.

But having a chance to sleep on it, I began to feel that I was
interpreting 'if' with too little of a declarative mindset based on a
predisposition to view 'if' as a semantic attached to our (imperative)
actions.

This use of 'if' on bind is even more declarative than the XForms use of
switch and case, and as Mark has noted the 'relevant' attribute cannot be
used.

There aren't any use cases at the run-time level that can't be solved with
an XPath predicate instead, but the use of 'if' (or something like it) on
bind does give more information at the XML level (than an XPath predicate)
of the the author's intent to have binds that apply MIPs conditionally.
But, there is an efficiency problem if a page has to provide an
xforms-model-construct-done handler that selects the appropriate binds
after the model has been constructed.  The binds I don't want in a
particular page are created and then destroyed.

Thus, having also the option of @src on bind is important to the use case
of having a set of web pages that work together to fill out a data
instance.  In that use case, I would have something like this:

Resource: data.xml (a server-side data resource mutated by the user as
data is collected)

<data> <A>...</A> <B>...</B> <C>...</C> </data>

File: constraints.A.xml (a set of constraints for the data collected by
page A)
File: constraints.B.xml (a set of constraints for the data collected by
page B)
File: constraints.C.xml (a set of constraints for the data collected by
page C)

File: page.A.html (web page A, collects data for A)

<model>
   <instance src="... data.xml"/>
   <bind src="constraints.A.xml"/>
</model>

File: page.B.html (web page B, collects data for B)

<model>
   <instance src="... data.xml"/>
   <bind src="constraints.B.xml"/>
</model>

File: page.C.html (web page C, collects data for C but also must submit
the completed data)

<model>
   <instance src="... data.xml"/>
   <bind src="constraints.A.xml"/>  <!-- can be avoided with careful
design -->
   <bind src="constraints.B.xml"/>  <!-- can be avoided with careful
design -->
   <bind src="constraints.C.xml"/>
</model>

In page C, the constraints for A and B can be avoided with careful
application design because the user doesn't get to page C until those
constraints are met during the fill experiences for A and B.  Only if data
entry in C can cause violation of those constraints are they needed in
page C, but this is not typically what happens, so a great deal of
efficiency is obtained on each page by enforcing only the constraints for
data collected on that page.

Of course, if it can be avoided, then why bother with @src on bind.  The
answer is that often the parts A, B and C are used in more than one web
page collection.  It helps to be able to create them as external reusable
components from which multiple larger form applications can be
constructed.  Then, if the schema for a part (A, B or C) changes, then the
constraints for the same part can be modified in one place and all form
applications which use that modified part automatically get the modified
constraints.

A more specific use case helps drive out more requirements.  Suppose the
reusable component I want is for an address block.  One issue is that an
address block can occur at different places within different schema, and
in fact you might get more than one address block in the same schema
instance.  So, I'd be inclined to use bind with @src and @nodeset at the
same time:

<bind nodeset="shipTo" src="constraints.address.xml"/>
<bind nodeset="billTo" src="constraints.address.xml"/>

Finally, note that this is only getting at how we might create reusable
sets of binds, rather than reusable model fragments.  Since the components
of a model (instances, binds, actions, submissions) are intended to work
together, often what one needs is to be able to pull in a whole submodel,
not just a collection of binds.  The example here is all the baggage
needed for a web service.  For example, suppose you have web service
endpoints foo and bar:

foo.xml:
<model>
    <instance id="SOAPRequest_foo">...</instance>
    <instance id="SOAPResponse_foo">...</instance>
    <submission id="Request_foo" ... />
</model>

bar.xml:
<model>
    <instance id="SOAPRequest_bar">...</instance>
    <instance id="SOAPResponse_bar">...</instance>
    <submission id="Request_bar" ... />
</model>

They can be consumed in lots of web pages like this:

<model>
    <instance id="data"> ... </data>
    <model id="foo" src="foo.xml"/>
    <model id="bar" src="bar.xml"/>

    <action ev:event="xforms-submit" ev:target="Request_foo">Copy some
data to SOAPRequest_foo</action>
    <action ev:event="xforms-submit-done" ev:target="Request_foo">Copy
some data from SOAPResponse_foo</action>

    <action ev:event="xforms-submit" ev:target="Request_bar">Copy some
data to SOAPRequest_bar</action>
    <action ev:event="xforms-submit-done" ev:target="Request_bar">Copy
some data from SOAPResponse_bar</action>

</model>

Notice that I simply assume that the internal models will just contribute
their content to the outer model.  I would go so far as to say that any id
attributes on inner models are simply not accessible from the model
attribute of the UI binding, but that the use of an id on the inner model
that has the src attribute provides us a way of dealing with ID space
conflicts.  Referencing the imported instances could be done by
concatenation of the model id with the instance id.  For example, the
action that copies data too SOAPRequest_foo would actually use XPaths that
start with instance('foo.SOAPRequest_foo')/...

This is the point where Erik might suggest we use XInclude, though the
above minimalist semantics added to the XForms namespace seem more likely
to promote short term multiple implementations than does ingesting another
W3C spec with all its extra baggage.  But either way, hopefully this at
least provides a clearer picture of the things we need to be able to do.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: