Re: XMLHttpRequest Comments from W3C Forms WG

On Dec 17, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> OK, so is the conclusion that XHR is implementable only in HTML5 and
> should be re-titled "XMLHttpRequest in HTML5" or something similar?

I think your premise is false, and I don't such a retitling would be
helpful. The XHR spec does not require a full implementation of HTML5.
It only references some concepts from HTML5. The XHR spec could be
implemented in an SVG or HTML4 or XHTML 1.0 implementation that did
not support most aspects of HTML5 at all, as long as it could satisfy
the requirements implied by those definitions. Your proposed title
change would imply that the XHR spec could only be implemented by an
HTML5 UA, but that is not accurate.

All we have here is a case of suboptimal factoring of the
specifications, so that some concepts of very general applicability to
the Web platform are presently only defined in HTML5. Some of them are
in the process of being broken out, some of them already have been
broken out, and more are likely to be broken out in the future.
XMLHttpRequest is in fact a pretty good example of factoring something
out of HTML5, and even though we haven't cleaned up its whole chain of
dependencies, I do not think that is a reason to stuff it back into
HTML5, or to block progress on perfecting its dependencies.

Regards,
Maciej