From: John Boyer [mailto:boyerj@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:15 AM
To: Klotz, Leigh
Cc: public-forms@w3.org
Subject: RE: XForms 1.1 test suite issues

Without looking into the details, this looks like just another agenda item in the new year.  As per current charter and proposed new charter, maintenance of the test suite is an important component of our work.  We had a fantastic round of improvements recently thanks largely to your validator work and Joern's work on Chiba as well as some work we've been doing in Ubiquity XForms.  We still have a few more issues from Joern as well as this one now.

Generally, the test suite could use more work in a number of areas.  We could continue to improve the coverage of what is tested.  I have some action items to add a few more specific tests, but frankly we could use a thorough scrub of the spec against the test suite to ensure we really do have all the technical requirements captured in tests.  Of course, we'd have to do this as a "second edition" test suite so that we avoid a numerical disconnect between the current test suite and the implementation reports.  FWIW, I think revising the current tests is acceptable even though it may improve or detract from an implementers results relative to the current reports.  There is really no harm in improvement, and in the case of a new failure, the implementer should feel more urgently obligated to patch an implementation to fix any defects uncovered by the revised test.  But adding tests seems to be the stuff of a new edition.

And once we begin thinking in terms of a second edition test suite, I think it would be worthwhile spending some time addressing the concerns raised about how hard it has been to automate testing for the current tests.  Offhand I don't really know what specific changes are needed, so it is a conversation worth having, though I wouldn't want it to stand in the way of creating new tests.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer>