RE: XForms 1.1 test suite issues

Without looking into the details, this looks like just another agenda item
in the new year.  As per current charter and proposed new charter,
maintenance of the test suite is an important component of our work.  We
had a fantastic round of improvements recently thanks largely to your
validator work and Joern's work on Chiba as well as some work we've been
doing in Ubiquity XForms.  We still have a few more issues from Joern as
well as this one now.

Generally, the test suite could use more work in a number of areas.  We
could continue to improve the coverage of what is tested.  I have some
action items to add a few more specific tests, but frankly we could use a
thorough scrub of the spec against the test suite to ensure we really do
have all the technical requirements captured in tests.  Of course, we'd
have to do this as a "second edition" test suite so that we avoid a
numerical disconnect between the current test suite and the implementation
reports.  FWIW, I think revising the current tests is acceptable even
though it may improve or detract from an implementers results relative to
the current reports.  There is really no harm in improvement, and in the
case of a new failure, the implementer should feel more urgently obligated
to patch an implementation to fix any defects uncovered by the revised
test.  But adding tests seems to be the stuff of a new edition.

And once we begin thinking in terms of a second edition test suite, I
think it would be worthwhile spending some time addressing the concerns
raised about how hard it has been to automate testing for the current
tests.  Offhand I don't really know what specific changes are needed, so
it is a conversation worth having, though I wouldn't want it to stand in
the way of creating new tests.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: