From: Ian Hickson [mailto:ian@hixie.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:13 PM
To: Klotz, Leigh
Cc: Anne van Kesteren; WebApps WG; Forms WG
Subject: RE: XMLHttpRequest Comments from W3C Forms WG

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> > > Therefore, even in the light of the changes in details I've cited
> > > (and your kind corrections for my errors and outdated
> > > imformation), our request that you abstract out the dependencies
> > > on HTML5 into a separate document (perhaps part of the HTML5
> > > family, perhaps not) still stands.
> >
> > This would be a colossal amount of work, for which we unfortunately
> > do not have any volunteers.
>
> I'll take this as a "No" and we'll discuss it in the Forms WG next
> year when we pick up again.

FWIW, there is a general agreement that this would be an ideal thing to do; it really does boil down to lack of manpower. We did try at one point to do it, but the effort floundered. If you know of anyone who would be knowedgable enough to edit such a draft, and who would have the time to do it, please do let us know. I would be happy to help someone get started on this.

I estimated in 2008 that someone with the suitable skills would face the following workload:

| - 4 months at 40h/week extracting existing text from HTML5
| - 12 months at 40h/week reverse-engineering and specifying
| - 12 months at 40h/week responding to feedback
| - 24 months at 5h/week responding to feedback
 -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Oct/0127.html (#10)

Some of that is reduced now, since some progress has been made on the relevant material, but it'd still probably be in the same ballpark.

> Happy Holidays, Ian, Anne, and all.

Likewise.