Re: Naming the forms/attribute technology [was Re: Discussion points for "Forms-A"]

Hi Mark,

>Well...the key approach that I've been encouraging us to adopt is not
>the 'attribute approach', but the 'modular specification approach'.

Modularization is not *the* key, but *a* key.  And in fact I think the WG
has shown that it agrees by basically spending the entire face to face on
it.

But it's not the only thing.  We're executing on a 3-fold strategy for
adoption.

First, defeat the cross-browser availability obstacle.  We're doing that
with the Ubiquity XForms processor, which gets around the problem of
needing the browser vendors to adopt our technology in order for our
technology to be available on their browsers.

Second, defeat the rip-and-replace obstacle.  This is being done in part
by modularization, as it allows incremental adoption rather than
monolithic adoption.  It is also being done in part by FormsA / WebFormsA.
 By taking an attribute-based approach, we are able to apply the most
important concepts from XForms to the larger class of HTML documents,
rather than requiring an overall of a document before it can be ready for
XForms.  Moreover, the fact that we are able to align the use of these
attributes with the XForms processing model means that we are able to
scale up to using modules containing XForms elements when needed.

Third, defeat the perceived complexity obstacle.  This is being done in
part by modularization and in part by FormsA / WebFormsA.  The
attribute-based technique is an answer to the basic complaint that simple
things should be simple to do.  If I just want some small feature, why
can't I just have an attribute for it?  More generally, how easy is it to
create a reasonably simple application like a purchase order?  If you
check out what I did in the latest draft, you'll see that we get all the
way home with the attribute system. More complex apps will require the
additional complex features of full XForms, but you can do useful things
before you get there with a simple and easy on-ramp that is
architecturally aligned with scaling up to full XForms.

> But I'm afraid I disagree that it's our job to heal divisions.

I didn't say it was our job, directly.  But you still have to look back at
why the rift happened.  It happened because we were not executing on all
three of the above points.  The W3M wants the rift mended because they
think the HTML WG membership has a set of legitimate points that need to
be addressed, and the rift exists because the points were not being
addressed for a very long time.  All of the work we are doing now is
addressing those points.

We may do the work and still not be able to mend the rift, but I think you
are saying that then at least we have done our job according to our
charter.  True, but the point of doing the work is so that it *will* be
adopted and in particular that it will be adopted by those who currently
go out to the world and say that our work is not relevant to the future of
the web.  It is relevant to the future of the web, but the onus is on us
to demonstrate this to be the case.

What put the onus there?  The charter did, which means the W3C did.  The
vote of the W3C to charter our group is based on the charter document. The
expectation is that we will execute on the charter.  Our charter calls for
us to work with the HTML WG to come up with a blend of XForms and Web
Forms 2.0.  This gets us back to the reason why that charter requirement
exists, which is the same reason as why the rift happened.  This is why we
have to do well at both technical design and positioning and promotion.

> I think trying to be too political here simply won't work.

This isn't about being "too political".  It isn't even about being
political.  The politics, in fact, already happened.

> If we have a solution that we think is right, then we should pursue
> it, and try to encourage its widespread adoption.

We do, and we should.  We have a great thing called XForms.  We now have a
really cool "XForms accelerator" that increases the consumability of
XForms by reducing the time to benefit and increasing the breadth of
platforms and documents where said benefit can be realized.  Now we should
encourage its widespread adoption by building it into Ubiquity XForms, by
having the savvy to call it what it is (WebFormsA), and by actively
selling it to the HTML WG as the merge point of XForms and Web Forms 2.0.
That's the win-win.

> I don't believe we should try to second-guess what might or might not
make people support it.

Again, please refer to the charter.  We do not have to guess, much less
second guess.  We have been told in very clear terms that we need to make
some improvements, and it has been demonstrated to us that if we don't
improve, then someone else will make the improvements for us.

On the other hand, a major reason we got rechartered is that I wrote a lot
of letters to a lot of people explaining how it was indeed possible to
bridge the rift that had formed by making something that had the key
properties of Web Forms 2.0 but which projected onto the XForms processing
model.  The FormsA / WebFormsA spec is the detailed version of that
argument, proving that the merge is technically feasible (which many did
not believe). Now that technical feasibility is at hand, we need to do
what it takes to finish the job of ensuring that the work is adopted by
HTML WG, rather than having them continue with a design that does not
accommodate for the XForms processing model and therefore does not
reasonably allow incremental adoption of the modules we are creating.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: