Re: Pros and cons of different solutions: three slightly different versions of the PO example

I think it is *not* because we are used to XPath that we like the "nodes"
approach.

It is because the "nodes" approach uses the *exact* names that happen to
appear in the name attributes of the UI elements without any superfluous
dollar signs to remember.

The discussion we had on the telecon, which you further explained below,
is that the meanings of the dollar variables could be worked out at
run-time based on context nodes, so that code inside of a repeat could be
made to work using the ID referencing rules built into section 4.7.2.
Awesome that it works out, but as you said earlier it means we can't use
variables for other reasons if we define that their meaning is determined
dynamically to refer to binds.  Moreover, there use is artificial because
we are always writing binds like this:

<bind id="Price" nodeset="Price" .../>

This means that whether you say calculate="Price * Quantity" or
calculate="$Price * $Quantity", you get the same result.  This is why the
dollar version seems at best superfluous (i.e. why tell people to put
dollars if it works without them) and at worse a loss of technical tempo
(i.e. we lose the use of programmer-defined variables in the future).

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Staff Member
Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed:

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
03/06/2008 10:14 AM

"Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Pros and cons of different solutions: three slightly different
versions of the PO example

Nick,

It is good that you are raising this. And yes, I think it IS because
you are so used to XPath that you like the "nodes" approach ;-)

But luckily, you are wrong about the index() function ;-), and this is
for two reasons:

1. Using the index() function would give you the wrong result
    anyway. What you would need is the current position within the
    repeat, not the index (which may turn out to be "1" for all the
    iterations, for example). With XPath 2.0, something like this will
    work, not sure with XPath 1.0:

    <output name="LineTotal"
      calculate="$Price[context()/position()]
                        * $Quantity[context()/position()]"/>

    This said don't even look at the above, it's not necessary anyway
    as I explain further below.

    But the point is taken, if you had to use the index() or position()
    function, it would be a big turn-off. I would not claim that such a
    solution satisfies the criterium of "simplicity".

2. More importantly, you WON'T need to use the index() or position()
    function!

    The implicit binds will look like this (@context,
    etc. notwithstanding):

      <xf:bind name="order" nodeset="order/row">
        <xf:bind name="Product" nodeset="Product"/>

    In XForms 1.1, we now clearly define how nested binds are evaluated
    within repeats. See "4.7.2 References to Elements within a bind
    Element" [1].

    This means that from within the repeat, a reference to bind
    "Product" will return the node associated with the current
    iteration.

    If we define XPath variables as simply resolving binds, then you can
    just write the following:

      <output name="LineTotal" calculate="$Price * $Quantity"/>

    and obtain the expected result, without using index() or
    position(). We are exactly in the case of section 4.7.2!

    From *outside* the repeat, the bind will resolve to the whole
    node-set, so you will get all the nodes you expect.

In fact, this may turn out to be quite elegant IMO.

-Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/#idref-resolve-bind

http://www.orbeon.com/