Advisory: Changed definition of validity to include "non-empty if required"

Hi Mark,

The working group recently decided to rescind an earlier decision in
XForms 1.0 to remove "required but empty" from the list of conditions that
produce an invalid result (and hence an xforms-invalid).

The latest editor's draft of XForms 1.1 linked from the WG web page
contains changes to the definition of validity in Section 4
(xforms-revalidate event) to reflect this decision.

This removed an inconsistency between the notion of validity used in the
UI versus the one used in submission.

The prior decision to exclude "required but empty" from invalidity was to
avoid an unpleasant user experience on form startup for those who style
invalidity in a particular way and those who write handlers for
xforms-invalid.

However, for those few who do hook xforms-invalid to show a message, the
fact is that the processing model does not support dispatching
xforms-invalid on start up anyway.  Furthermore, the working groupnow
believes the styling concern was based on interpreting informative
information about styling in Appendix G as if it were normative and
complete.

For the sake of being "more informative" the working group resolved to add
extra CSS pseudo-classes to the list suggested to implementers so that
authors can style required-but-empty controls differently than those that
are invalid for other reasons.

The working group also resolved that I should write you this email to
inform you of the change because the changes are only being reflected in
the 1.1 spec.  Most of the working group feels that 1.1 is pretty much it
going forward, and so the working group prefers to avoid doing extra work
to create a further edition of XForms 1.0 to reflect this change there as
well.  However, the working group is aware that Picoforms in particular is
focused on 1.0 development and would therefore like to provide this
advisory about the behavior change to the definition of validity and its
effects on styling and on the xforms-invalid event.  Please let us know if
you require a 1.0 spec revision and test suite update for this advisory.

Best regards,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Staff Member
Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher