Re: Quick proposal: method="get" be default on submission element

Hi guys,

This may be why method was left without a default setting in XForms.

If we adopt the HTML default, then XForms submissions do not send XML data
by default.

If we adopt a default that causes XForms submssions to send XML data by
default, then it does not match the HTML default.

I tend to prefer language design in which the default expresses what
people are most likely to do, rather than a default imposed by historical
precedent, particularly when the historical precedent imposes exactly the
mess we were trying to get out of with the new language (flat tag-value
pair data structures, in this case).

It seems reasonable to say that submission with an expressed method="get"
still lets us talk to legacy non-XML systems.
Even in the light of syntactic softening we want for XForms 1.2, it does
not seem to be a big problem.  An unexpressed XForms submission implied by
an HTML form would have an expressed method="get" because that is the HTML
default.  It is no different than saying the HTML form tag's action
attribute implies a resource attribute on submission (because the action
attribute of submission is deprecated).

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
10/09/2007 02:25 PM
Please respond to
ebruchez@orbeon.com

Forms WG <public-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Quick proposal: method="get" be default on submission element

Thanks, my bad.

-Erik

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xforms-20020118/slice3.html#structure-model-submitInfo

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xforms-20020821/slice3.html#structure-model-submission