Re: Submission with instance replacement and deferred updates

Hmm, actually when it was discussed, a very long time ago, I don't think
setting the flags was even discussed.  The main discussion was about
whether the actions should be triggered by events versus performed
directly.

Mark, perhaps you are thinking about the new submission behavior that now
*precedes* submission, in which rebuild and recalculate are performed if
the flags for those operations are already set.

It was previously decided that the direct actions would be performed,
rather than dispatching events, to ensure that the
rebuild-recalculate-revalidate-refresh sequence was not cancelled by
measures a form author might have taken to cancel "automatic"
recalculations that occur during the fill experience.  I can't say I ever
really found the use case compelling, but that's another story.

I don't recall any action items or prior discussions about having
submission modify the deferred update flags.  Since it is not an XForms
action, it is only recently that we even considered having submission
*read* the flags.  Having it also write the flags is an interesting idea,
though.  As long as we also make sure that the deferred update happens for
a submit control, it seems a nice generalization that gets rid of some
perhaps unwanted behavior while also making things more consistent.

Cheers,

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: www-forms-editor-request@w3.org
07/23/2007 08:51 AM
Please respond to
ebruchez@orbeon.com

"Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
cc
www-forms-editor@w3.org
Subject
Re: Submission with instance replacement and deferred updates

Then that's great and I hope there is an action item out there to track
this.

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/