Re: XForms 1.1 Last Call: comment about 4.4.5 The xforms-insert Event (PR#108)

John Boyer wrote:

> The use case was described at the face-to-face, though it does not have
> to be solved by the particular property specified.
>
> The issue is that xforms-insert and xforms-delete are kind of useless if
> you have no real way of detecting the exact nodes being inserted or
> deleted (deleted being the harder case because you lose the ancestors).
>
> The binding property was a simple "thunk" that could often be used to
> synchronize the operation of insert and delete on a particulare nodeset
> as being distinct from all other nodesets so that you can write
> conditional event handlers for xforms-insert and xforms-delete that only
> take certain actions if a particular nodeset has been mutated.
>
> One argument against is that the binding property doesn't tell you
> whether the binding was made by an XPath or an IDREF to a bind.  I'm
> sure other arguments against will be posted in response to this email,
> but I wouldn't be happy to see this feature go away unless replaced with
> something better.  While less than technically perfect in a declarative
> world, I do not think it is broken really.  It's just that it does what
> it does, so it only works if you use it with care.  I'd like something
> better, but we are wanting in that department.
>
> For example, the suggested alternative was to add a generate-id()
> function, so the 'if' on the event handler could compare nodes
> inserted/deleted with those obtained by specific XPaths.  I believe this
> works for the insert case and fails for the delete case.
>
> Either way, it would help if you could stay on, Erik, as author of
> things related to insert/delete and their events.  Would you be able to
> do this?

I don't think I responded to the last question above. Sure, I have no
problem with staying in charge of editing the text related to insert/delete.

Did we get a resolution on the issue at hand though?

http://www.orbeon.com/