Re: D-CENT: state of the art - not

carlo von lynX:
> Harry Halpin wrote:
>>> Andreas - also, there has been exceedingly little work in the field
>>> actually since 2012, so I think your use of the term "irresponsible" is
>>> irresponsible :) Regardless, the only open-source I've seen some
>>> progress as regards interop testing was OStatus.
>
> No surprise since interop isn't currently a useful goal. Why work
> on the interoperability of solutions that do not scale and thus do
> not achieve what is requested from them? The last thing we need is
> another XMPP - a standard that does not fulfil the requirements
> because it has lack of scalability built-in at the foundation.

I have seen no proof yet that scalability is one of the main reasons why
there has not been much activity in the last year(s).

> Unfortunately I haven't seen any numbers published -
> projects that run into these hard limits simply turn quiet or disappear.
> Would be more scientific if they were to publish their findings

+1

> It may work as an isolated platform, but from my understanding an Elgg-
> based platform provides neither scalability nor the confidentiality a
> group of activists would need.

D-CENT and the FP7 CAPS objective do not seem to aim at solving those
issues. We can be happy that the formulation of the objective
essentially prevents using closed source platforms...

> There are reasons why Lorea developers are running Elgg in maintenance
> mode and looking out for more appropriate solutions.

Thanks for that information. I was not aware of that.

Cheers,
Andreas