Re: Proposal to develop best practice document to focus work of W3C FSW Community Group

On 8 May 2013 11:18, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:

> Melvin Carvalho:
> > You may also want to look at:
> > http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware of that document. Maybe we
> should ask tbl if he likes to participate?

Although he is very busy, I think Tim is interested in this area.  And he
already participates.

Here's his paper from 2008 which largely outlines the vision

http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/decentralization.pdf

I think he participated in the european F2F via video conference.

And at the 2 day joint session in TPAC last October, he spent almost all
his time with our group.

Im unsure he has much time to incubate new standards in this area, but if
there's work used to build on existing standards, which are more mature
than in 2010, he may be persuaded to perhaps take a look.

Tim is currently working on the tabulator project (
https://github.com/linkeddata/tabulator ) which needs quite a bit of work
still, but there is a social pane there.  If I get time I may modernize it
to look a bit more modern :)

> > I would be interested in helping in this initiative.
>
> Great!
>
> > The last one we wrote, (which gave rise to this group) was in 2010 is
> > now a bit outdated:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/XGR-socialweb-20101206/
>
> Yes, it contains important material, but some of the information really
> is outdated. For example about half of the projects mentioned in section
> 10 are now dead or almost dead (and newer significant projects are not
> mentioned). We can learn something from that for the future.

Agreed

> This document was mostly directed to technical geeks. I would like the
> new document (or the updated version of the old one) to be less of a
> kitchen sink in which dozens of standards are listed without ranking
> them. There are important standards and there are less important ones.
>
> It is our task to let people know what is important and what is not that
> important - and explain the reasons for that.

Sounds good!