R: Finding user profiles on a Social Net

Da: Evan Prodromou [mailto:evan@e14n.com]
Inviato: giovedì 6 giugno 2013 15.47
A: public-fedsocweb@w3.org
Oggetto: Re: Finding user profiles on a Social Net

I think the "self" link relationship works well here, especially with a "type" saying what type of data is available.

That can be discovered either in a profile page, a Webfinger account, an activitystrea.ms object, or other places that links are discoverable.

-Evan

+1. Discovery is essential in allowing to get a direct pointer to the user profile endpoint via various means. Then as evan says the type(s) could point to a foaf description, poco, etc

I would avoid going too much in the direction of adding too many well-knowns endpoints for these "rigid" motivations you mentioned...I guess we have plenty of entry points / occasions for retrieving the direct endpoint in the first place...

I'd relaunch the discussion into "searching user profiles" across social nets. I guess many opportunities/technologies exist now to start addressing this eventually in distributed way.
Is it utopic?