Re: Federation protocols

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Sandeep Shetty <sandeep.shetty@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Michiel B. de Jong
> <anything@michielbdejong.com> wrote:
> > I think in a polyglot mindset we should allow both email-like and
> URL-like
> > identifiers, and I even think that it is the only way forward. If we can
> > apply polyglot thinking at that most basic level of the user identifier,
> > then we will also be able to apply it at all the other levels, and can
> > achieve interop without having to discuss superiority of certain design
> > choices over others. It is actually a beautiful thing that all our
> systems
> > are so different and unique, that's part of the richness! :) Let's try to
> > federate them with each other in a polyglot way.
>
> This polyglot "adapter" approach come with high "costs". IIRC, even
> Friendica Red decided to limit what it can connect to [1]. At a basic
> level there needs to be a few building blocks to support interop,

otherwise the cost of integrating with every system out there are too
> high (remember integration is not just a one time task and anyone that
> has integrated with more than one system knows about this ongoing
> maintenance "cost").

I agree. I think if we use a middle-man building block between the
application and the various server-side APIs or protocols, then we mitigate
that cost considerably.

Traditionally what we've seen is large projects trying to pick and choose
which other large projects they will interoperate with due to the costs
involved with implementing support for other platforms. It's a recipe for
failure IMHO. I think we should worry less about interoperability and more
about decoupling our approach to address smaller areas of concern, that way
each piece has a much higher chance of remaining relevant and useful to
developers.

I think the many different protocols out there on the web is a good thing,
and is price we pay for innovation and progress. It's unrealistic to expect
everyone to conform to a protocol that may not specifically fit their
needs, perhaps they think they have a better way to do things, or the
system they end up with grew organically and what they have is what they
ended up with. I think we've got to accept the fact that things will
continue to change faster than we will be able to, and adjust our approach
accordingly.

On the flip side, maybe this could be the reason
> only a few of the systems that are "friends" with each other will
> survive and grow, and achieve network effects, while the rest of them
> die out because without the basic building blocks for interop they
> will have no options if they cannot "convince" others to integrate
> using "their approach".

Perhaps. Regardless of the reasoning, it's safe to say protocols will die
out and others will pull ahead in popularity. If our back and front-end
systems are not tightly coupled together, we have a better chance of
building long-lasting applications that users can use beyond the life of
any handful of APIs, protocols, social networks or fads of the day - while
still being able to take full advantage of the fads of the day and not
being 2+ years behind everything.

I say it's not really about the protocol(s), it's about our approach in
developing open alternatives for end-users.