Re: Federation protocols

On 1 June 2013 20:20, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think XMPP is great as part of an overall solution in the FSW.  And I'm
> keen that XMPP systems should be able to communicate with other systems.
> The JID xmpp:user@host in my view is an excellent choice of identifer, I
> can add it to may roster, and there's a well defined way to send the
> messages.
>
> But we need solutions in the HTTP space as well.  Facebook for example
> have decent solutions in HTTP, email AND XMPP.  It's just a pity it's
> centralized and proprietary.

XMPP: very good at federation and identity / not very good at display and
client apps
HTTP: no native federation and identity / excellent at display and client
apps

So (and this is how we built buddycloud), use HTTP to get that information
from your home domain via an API, and use XMPP to transport and share
between domains.

win-win.

S.
--
Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours:
goo.gl/tQgxP