Re: How is "Linked Open Data" different from "Linked Data"?

On 7/3/13 6:17 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2013-07-03 09:19:12)
> On 3 July 2013 09:11, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
>>> Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2013-07-03 01:35:21)

>>> Thanks for explaining how not even "Linked Open Data" (emphasized by
>>> capital letters and quotes as being a concept rather than three words
>>> with individual meaning) is open for interpretation.
> Whoops - a bogus "not" accidentally sneaked into my sentence above.
>

>>> In this thread, when explaining what _I_ got confused about, I was in
>>> fact talking about a different concept than "Open systems".
>>>
>>> I shall consider to instead use linked-open-data-as-defined-by-W3C in
>>> the future, when myself talking about what I mean.
>>>
>> Linked (Open) Data is not defined normatively anywhere by the W3C.
> Ah, good point.
>
> What I mean is linked-open-data-as-per-W3C-draft-definition.
>
> Is that still ambiguous?  Has W3C ever made any other draft definition
> than <http://www.w3.org/TR/ld-glossary/#linked-open-data> for "Linked
> Open Data"?  Is perhaps "Open" a protected word similar to "Unix"?
>

>   - Jonas

Jonas,

The note from the W3C on the surface is a note, but as you clearly
demonstrate, folks will take it as an endorsed W3C viewpoint.

My only suggestion to you is this: put terminology through your own
scrutiny. The Web provides easy access to literature and history. Do
that and you will never be susceptible to misguided attempts to redefine
critical aspects of any innovation continuum, and that includes the
World Wide Web :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen