Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

On 18 July 2012 11:29, Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > wrote:
>

>> On 4 July 2012 14:22, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's blow some new life into this community group. The approach to
>>> federating the social web so far has been concentrated on taking
>>> hosted applications that run server-side code, and opening them up by
>>> adding more powerful and detailed APIs to these servers. Basically
>>> turning the internal functionality of hosted applications into
>>> something that's part of the web. But we can also start from the other
>>> end, with the web as such, and add functionality to it. This paints a
>>> different perspective on the same topic. I divide it into 6
>>> requirements, or steps if you will: Indie Web, Webfinger, Read-Write
>>> Web, Chat, Inbox, Comments.
>>>
>>> Step 1: "The Indie Web" - to be a citizen on the web, you need your
>>> own web page which you can edit. It can have its own domain name, or a
>>> subdomain, and it can be publically readable or restricted to a
>>> specific audience, but the important thing is that there is content on
>>> the web about you. An easy way to achieve this is for instance with
>>> WordPress, but if you're a bit more technical you might prefer for
>>> instance github pages.
>>>

>> Rich User Profiles
>> ==============
>>
>> I've been thinking about the term, 'Rich User Profiles'.
>>

>> What do I mean by this?
>> ===================
>>
>> Essentially on most sites on the web, you are allowed to have a user
>> profile.  However, it's up to the provider of that software, to choose
>> exactly the fields that they will allow you to fill in, in order to
>> describe yourself.  This is a form of data restriction, as opposed to, data
>> freedom.
>>

> Well if "freedom" means you don't want to define anything, then that's not
> really very useful, is it.
> But I agree you should be able to choose yourself what fields you want to
> have on your profile
>
> It's really hard to come up with a good schema for a Persona, or even to
> choose one out of the many existing ones.
> There's FOAF, there's hCard, there's http://schema.org/Person, or here is
> another one: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Persona_Data_Model_2.0
>
> Also, some of the companies here <http://pde.cc/startup-circle/> are
> defining their own Person schemas/ontologies.
> One of them (Mydex) has an ontology with 1000s of fields, supposedly
> anything you would ever want to be able to express about a person.
>
> I think the HTML5 data layer, can be a game changer, in that it will offer
>> the user new possibilities, in terms of what you are able to do with data.
>>

> What is the "HTML5 data layer"?
> - There are the data-* attributes, which are meant for use by JavaScript
> within an HTML5 page.
> - There is also HTML5 microdata, i.e. simple semantic markup for embedding
> data in a page.
> - Or do you mean Linked Data, RDF, JSON-LD, that sort of thing.

Yes linked data.  I would use RDFa 1.1 or RDFa lite 1.1, which were made
RECS last month.

>> Why would a user want to do this?
>> ===========================
>>
>> It's a about freedom.   You make something free, and you make it better.
>> The can apply to data as it does to free software.
>>
>> Simple example.  Allow a user to share their birthday and you can allow
>> friends on the system to know when someone they know is about to have a
>> birthday.
>>
>> More complex example.  If you let a user put a public key into there
>> profile, then assuming they control the private key, they are able to login
>> to any application on the web or on their desktop that can perform a PKI
>> challenge (your private key is a way to prove you own the public key).
>> With this simple step you change a static profile page, into a first class
>> identity provider.
>>

> Sounds exactly like WebID.

It's just the old fashioned idea of displaying your public key.  Yes it's
100% compatible with WebID or another PKI solution.

But in the FSW you *cant* do this, as far as I know.  That is simply not
data freedom.  It's swapping one form of centralized control for another.

>> That was just an example, but the real story here is the law of
>> "unintended consequences".  You allow people more freedom, and they will
>> surprise you on the upside, in ways that you had never thought of.  This
>> (data freedom on the web) is alo one of the main motivations behind the
>> read write web.  Successful apps on the web, have proen that when you start
>> trusting your users, to create content, they way they want to, you can
>> start to gain exponential returns.
>>
>> Perhaps, one great place to start, is with Rich User Profiles.
>>

> I think this is what the WebBox is all about. Based on WebID and other web
> technologies, you have your (flexible and extensible) profile and can
> control who can access what.

Again, it's not about the specific implementation, tho I'm sure WebBox is
one.  It's about data freedom.