Re: Network identity / brand

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:
> fedsocweb
> FedSocNet
> Web
> FSW
> FedSocWeb ID
> Node
> WebID
> NetID
> user address
> URI (not sure if this was a serious proposal or just a remark)

so adding from the rest of this thread:

Online Account
Web Account
Internet Address
link
profile
web home
SocialID
SocialNode
pod

and also i just noticed that friendika uses the term 'identity
address' (they actually put the quotes around it like that).

brings us to 20 candidates :) nice harvest!

i've been talking a lot without producing working code this week, so i
freed up some time in my schedule to develop the profile search
service i was talking about. it will be based on webfinger, but it
will also accept http identifiers, so that webfinger-less profiles
like those of facebook users and twitter users can still join in the
fun.

the way it will work is that to add yourself (or someone else) to the
search results, you just search for their identifier. It will try to
extract a few basic public profile attributes like full name, avatar,
and maybe a few other details. it will then index it by word prefixes,
so that next time if you search for 'Michiel' it will already populate
with suggestions for various Michiels around the world on random
nodes. It will only retrieve public information, and only of profiles
that people search for, but it will display (or serve as json, with
cors headers of course) instant results with avatars, so i think it
could be a useful 'knowledge graph tool for the social graph' :) i
will call it UserAddress.net for now as a working title, because it's
a domain name i registered once for this purpose, but we can always
pick one of the other 19 names for it.

The services will be available cross-origin, so everybody who wants to
can copy/paste the searchbox into their webpage and it will work. the
server-side code and database will also be public domain. a second
step would be to also cache friend lists whenever they are public (for
instance twitter 'following' lists are by default). if it's public
information, then we should make it accessible. i have to think if
there are any legal, security, or privacy implications that would make
this a bad idea, but if not, i think it can be a useful glue to tie
the fedsocweb closer together.