Re: the possible impact of future changes in webfinger (was Re: Anonymity and multiple identities)

Hmm this came out today:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-snell-web-index/?include_text=1

"The .well-known/index Mechanism"

It says SWD is "far better" than WebFinger, and it proposes a new method.

Apparently you hash the identifier, e.g. if your identifier is
acct:joe.smith@online-service-provider.example.org

Then you do a GET on
/.well-known/index/53ae56ef33ccb9550869e58820df36c3b1cc9574712556059a3bfc716b4d9255/calendar

And the discovery information is sent to you in HTTP headers of the
response.

Markus