Re: Network identity / brand

On 6 July 2012 10:39, Antonio Tapiador del Dujo <atapiador@dit.upm.es>wrote:

> Something I am missing in the Federated Social Web is some kind of network
> identity, which gathers all the sites that can talk to each other. The kind
> of identity that appeared with "the internet" or "the web" and people could
> ask "are you in the internet?" or "do you have a website?"
>
> Maybe we could build some kind of FedSocNet, so you could ask your site
> admin, "is our site in the FedSocNet?"
>
> What do you think?

Great point.

Im sure there's going to be many differing opinions on this.  Lots of
people have a vision of what the federated social web should be, and it
normally amounts to preferred protocols and stacks.  But we may like to
think about identifiers and functionality.

Entry requirement to be part of the "Web" (and hence FSW), you need a user
profile served under HTTP.  You would be amazed how many social nets fail
(or refuse) to grok this point.

Next is that a the user should should have relative control of the data
there (data freedom).  Almost none of the FSW sites I've seen get this,
perhaps lorea is an exception, im not sure.  Perhaps an acid test here:
will your network allow me to publish, for example, my public key?

I think one nice thing would be user to user messaging.  We've been working
on this via the 'pingback' protocol.  I'm sure any net that wanted to
participate in this level of federation (network to network messaging)
could program it in under a day, if there was the motivation.

Once you've got these basics right you can start to layer more interesting
things such as SWAT0