Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is correct.  But a widely used protocol like HTTP benefits from 20
> years of tooling and the network effect, which translates into a big
> advantage, to those that embrace it.
>
> Of the newer protocols (eg webfinger to name one of many) , it's anyone's
> guess which will succeed.  But, I watch on with interest :)

it also matters which alternatives we have. we use http(s) in three
places: visiting a website, ajax, and server-to-server. For visiting a
website, the alternative to http(s) that i'm aware of are spdy and
opening an in-browser app that was installed using mozilla open web
apps, chrome web apps, or opera widgets formats. for ajax,
alternatives that i'm aware of are websockets and spdy. for
server-to-server there are lots of alternatives, including ssh and
xmpp.

afaik there are no alternatives to client-side webfinger resolution
(except that webfinger's format is itself under discussion, including
its alternative simple-web-discovery format, but since implementing
webfinger is in itself so super simple, we can take that in our stride
i think). For server-side webfinger resolution you could choose xmpp
disco instead. Maybe a good fedsocweb server does both, and combines
the results