From: David Turner <david@fidoalliance.org>
Date: Monday, July 17, 2023 at 14:24
To: Heather Flanagan <hlf@sphericalcowconsulting.com>
Cc: public-fed-id@w3.org <public-fed-id@w3.org>
Subject: Re: WG Charter draft, take #2
Hi Heather,

This is quite a surprise. Do you know why the other work has been pulled?

David

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 7:09 AM Heather Flanagan <hlf@sphericalcowconsulting.com<mailto:hlf@sphericalcowconsulting.com>> wrote:
Hello all!

Given the discussion and feedback received on the draft charter, the chairs are proposing to scrap the version we’ve been discussing entirely. Instead, we’ll focus only on what’s necessary to standardize FedCM and how it will help support federated authentication flows when third-party cookies are fully deprecated. How wallets enter this and what authorization (in the sense that SAML and OIDC use the term) still needs further incubation and should continue to be discussed in one or more community groups.

It’s also worth noting that in some cases, the incubation of ideas is happening outside of the W3C that might influence our work. The OpenID Foundation, for example, is working on a draft charter <https://docs.google.com/document/d/10pzVIpYF8gWVp2F6l0kinsBC9XVS5xZt4n55TzIcNLg/edit> for a Digital Credentials Protocol working group that may be of interest.

Depending on how the incubation of ideas goes with regards to wallets and authorization requirements, our working group charter can always be revised through the usual W3C process.

If you have any questions or concerns, please respond in this thread or discuss on the Slack channel. I’ll also add this as an AOB to today’s call.

[Image removed by sender.]

Heather Flanagan
Principal, Spherical Cow Consulting

Founder, The Writer’s Comfort Zone