Common HTTP Model

From: Adam Retter <adam@exist-db.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:28:02 +0000
To: EXPath <public-expath@w3.org>
Before the HTTP Client Module hits 1.0, it would be very nice if we
could define a common XML HTTP Model for HTTP Requests/Responses
(excluding bodies initially) which could live outside of the
http://expath.org/ns/http-client namespace.

Such a HTTP model could be reused in many specs, and in particular I
would like to reuse such a thing in RESTXQ which Christian and I are
actively working on to get to 1.0 ASAP.

Any objections to the following -

1) Creating an EXPath spec which is just an XML model which is in the
namespace http://expath.org/ns/http. The XML model will just cover the
protocol itself excluding bodies, as typically bodies are handled
out-of-band due to their types and implementation performance (e.g.
http-client:send-request returning a sequence, RESTXQs sequence
response, etc).

2) Changing the suggested prefix of the HTTP Client Module from 'http'
to 'hc' or 'http-client' or similar, to avoid conflict/confusing with
(1).

3) Modifying the EXPath HTTP Client spec to use that HTTP model.

If this sounds okay in principal, I would like to get this going ASAP,
but I am going to need support from the community to hit 1 .0 in the
next 1-2 months, I do not want to undertake such work if it never gets
out of draft status.

Cheers Adam.

--
Adam Retter