Re: Archive Module -revival

On 4 February 2014 10:52, John Lumley wrote:

  Hi John,

  Thank you for your email!

> Some discussion took place in November and December (with an
> unpublished Editor's draft)

  It looks to me like public at least:

    http://expath.org/spec/archive/editor

> Whether options for an archive should be read or set through
> attributes on an element, or child elements

  I would tend to prefer child elements, as you don't end up been
stuck with atomic values (in attributes) if some options should be
structured (as you can have with elements).

> But the largest issue is how to address the use of maps

  Yes.  To be honest I don't really like the current approach.
I think we should have either (1) only map or only elements, or
(2) one single namespace with a consistent set of functions, like two
different front-ends for the same features (the user can chose either
the map- or element- based versions).

  Honestly, I am not a big fan of the not-ordered nature of maps here.
But I guess I can live with it, if there is a "position" property in
entries.

  Another point is that, I believe, we are not sure yet which
processor will support maps and when.  From the current XSLT LCWD
<http://w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#conformance>, if I understand correctly,
maps will be a required feature of conformant XSLT 3.0 processors.
But we do not know for XQuery 3.1 (nor when XQuery 3.1 will be out,
probably not before a couple of years.  Probably time to update the
following table and add a new "map" column? :

    http://wiki.expath.org/wiki/Engines#Comparison

  Regards,

--
Florent Georges