Re: Binary Module error codes

On 03/08/2013 16:11, Florent Georges wrote:
> Jirka, John, is there any reason why the error code in the
> Binary Module use the pattern err:BINAnnnn?  "BIN" would seem
> more "natural" to me than "BINA".  And the codes in other specs
> use 3 digits instead of 4.  Not a big deal, but consistency is
> probably worth it here.
I was under the impression that some similarity with XPath error code
formats <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#errors> was suggested, which uses
a 4 character/ 4 number system. In EXPath, the file: and the sql:
modules uses that (though sql: isn't entirely consistent), albeit not
encoding program/phase in the 4 characters. crypto: and http-client: use
short codes. No others appear at first glance to have progressed to
error definition stages.

So, in defence, EXPath doesn't actually demonstrate consistency in the
matter...... ;-)

john

--
*John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE