Re: New draft of EXPath binary module

On 3 August 2013 15:54, Christian Grün wrote:

>>> – have you thought about letting the bit functions operate on
>>> octets (xs:integer*) instead of base64?

>>   We already discussed this.  I did not look into the archive,
>> but as far as I can remember, I think the outcome was that you
>> can't have a sequence of 2 binaries in that case, because we
>> can't have sequences of sequences (e.g. a function could not
>> return 2 binary items).  Using xs:base64Binary (for instance)
>> does not have this problem.

> I’m not sure what you mean here, as all binary operators function
> expect single xs:base64Binary arguments and return a single
> xs:base64Binary item (except for the bin:shift function, which also
> allows an empty sequence in the current draft).. Could you give me a
> little example that demonstrates the problem?

  I meant a user function (like a library to handle, say, images),
which would like to return a sequence of binary items.  For instance:

    (: split an image in 2 new images, horizontally :)
    img:split-horizontally($img as xs:base64Binary) as xs:base64Binary+

  If a binary item is represented by a sequence of integers, then the
above function is not possible (at least, it would not be possible to
return a sequence of 2 binary "items", as they would be each a
sequence).

  Does that make sense?  Regards,

--
Florent Georges