Re: New draft of EXPath binary module

On 2 August 2013 23:53, Christian Grün wrote:

  Hi Christian,

  Thanks for your comments!  Below a few notes about them, just
my 2 cents...

> – the name of the bin:subsequence() function may be irritating
> as it returns no sequence, but zero or one xs:base64Binary
> item.  Possible alternative could be: bin:sub(), bin:range() or
> bin:split().

  I agree.  What about bin:slice()?

> – personally, I would get rid of BINA0005 ($search is empty
> binary data) [...]
> – it could also be discussed if negative and out-of-bounds
> integer should be rejected [...]

> On the oher hand, I can see that more rigid error messages may
> lead to better code, and it might be that the tolerant behavior
> of XPath functions would be handled differently today (?).

  I am personally in favour of more strict error checking, so I
would keep BINA0005, and reject invalid boundaries for the same
reason.

> – as signed numbers are the default in the XQuery data model,
> bin:unpack-signed-integer() could possibly renamed to
> bin:unpack-integer()

  +1

> – have you thought about letting the bit functions operate on
> octets (xs:integer*) instead of base64?

  We already discussed this.  I did not look into the archive,
but as far as I can remember, I think the outcome was that you
can't have a sequence of 2 binaries in that case, because we
can't have sequences of sequences (e.g. a function could not
return 2 binary items).  Using xs:base64Binary (for instance)
does not have this problem.

  Regards,

--
Florent Georges