RE: TAG review of EXI Best Practices

I don't understand some of the document's conclusions regarding
compactness in comparison to ASN.1 PER.  Do the conclusions apply to cases
where the data is naturally binary, such as 32 bit integer or real?  The
use case I have in mind is sensor data.  I didn't notice a feature in EXI
that allowed 32 bit binary to be sent without converting it to character,
as would occur in transmitting a value as XML.

I think that can be done by using a user-defined datatype representation,
but that is the only way I can identify.  If that is the case, there
probably needs to be a standard "user-defined" datatype representation
that escapes to four octets for representing 32 bit binary or 8 octets for
64 bit binary, with definitions in each case for integer and real.

Alternatively, if the compactness of naturally binary data using EXI is as
good or better than ASN.1 PER +20%, how does that happen?

Stan Klein