Re: XBIS format

Hi Dennis,

On Aug 17, 2006, at 11:20, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> I just looked in on the work you've been doing, and wanted to point
> out XBIS to anyone interested: http://www.xbis.org XBIS predated
> the formation of the group and was one of the formats represented
> by a paper for the original W3C Workshop on Binary Interchange of
> XML Information Item Sets. I realize this is late for XBIS to be
> considered as a candidate for your particular WG, but you may still
> find some of the ideas interesting.

Yes, as you point out it is late for XBIS to be considered a
candidate for the baseline format. However, our plan is to pick a
baseline approach to structural encoding, and on that graft (where
possible, without creating a monster) features from others, when
sensible. As you can expect, most participants in the WG are aware of
XBIS, and I believe the chances are very high that we'll be looking
at it closely to steal^Wfind inspiration.

Thanks a lot!

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist