Re: sharing of string table

Hello,

UCHIDA Hitoshi <uchida.hitoshi@canon.co.jp> writes:

>> > In 7.3 String Table,
>> > what do you think about a function to share the string table
>> > between two documents ?
>> >
>> > After an EXI processor finished encoding a first document,
>> > it uses the string table of the first document to encode
>> > a second document.
>> > This function can make the size of the second document smaller.
>>
>> EXI already provides one feature that can be used to achieve the
>> functionality you request. Namely, it is possible to encode a series
>> of XML documents as an EXI fragment, which will retain both the string
>> table and any learned grammar content between individual documents of
>> the series.
>
> I understood the feature. Thank you very much.
>
> When you define the grammar format in future,
> I hope a feature to enable applications to create a document specific
> grammar because a general grammar content created from a schema would be
> large.
> Such a feature will be helpful for embedded devices.

I am not sure whether we have mentioned this before, but the working
group does not intend to define an interchange format for the grammars
or string tables, which it seems to me that you are requesting. The only
way we define for interoperation of schema-informed encodings is using
XML Schema.

Your request for a document-specific grammar could, I think, be
fulfilled in an interoperable manner by defining a document-specific XML
Schema and converting that into grammars according to the grammar
derivation algorithm in the EXI specification.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju, Helsinki University of Technology
I + NT = Problem