Re: Representing Sequences of Educational Exercises and Activities

Hi Adam,

I work with Phil on K12 OCX, and it's true that OCX doesn't currently
anticipate dynamic content sequencing. We generally rely on a piece of
technology we call a "loader" to read the OCX and inject it into an LMS or
similar system. That loader could make instructional design decisions such
as sequencing based on user-provided configuration - but this would still
result in a statically loaded sequence of content into an LMS. I think
primarily this is because I'm not aware of any LMS that can handle
algorithmic adjustments to content sequencing..

I do think that if content sequence logic representations become important
in OCX/loader contexts, it would be very interesting to provide a mechanism
to include your Algorithm types in the OCX. I don't think that would be
hard to achieve on the OCX side. We already provide mechanisms to inject
free-standing assessment packages, as well as external learning tools (both
of which many LMS can handle), so for systems that can handle Algorithms
alongside content, it seems pretty do-able to package it in an OCX
statement..

The problem right now (for me) is that I don't know what systems can
support this kind of dynamic content sequencing. Guidance welcome on this!

I'd be happy to talk more about this if it's useful, and I'd guess Phil
would too.. I'll certainly be interested to keep up with what you're
developing over time..

Steve