Re: "The basics of HTML" article updated

Hello Coralie

2011/8/9 Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>

> Hi Jérémie, all,
>
> Replying to the topic of W3C wiki still lacking internationalization tools.
>
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 22:48:22 +0200, Jeremie Patonnier <
> jeremie.patonnier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>  My Talk page on the Wiki is definitely not the best place to store all my
>> translations
>> As long as the W3C Wiki is not ready for internationalization,
>>

> We're under-staffed and the holiday season makes matters even worse.
>
> Internationalizing the wiki is going to happen, although I wasn't told when
> that might be.

I think I'm not very clear on that topic. There is no rush, take your time,
it's perfectly fine. I do not intend to blame anyone on that matter. We all
have our own agenda. I have time now because I perform those translations on
my spare time, I know that I will be less available this autumn. That's
life, it's ok for every one. For the time being, it's just a matter of
organisation to myself.

>  I'm a bit
>> reluctant to create the corresponding pages for the French translation...
>> however, it's doable so let me now if you think it's ok to do so.
>>

> Could you explain why the reluctance to create the corresponding pages for
> translations?

Sure. My main concern is about the language available for the pages of the
wiki. Currently, there is no way to say explicitly that the content of a
wiki page is written with something else than english. It's an accessibility
concerne and, even it's not that important, I found this a bit disturbing
for a content that will come from the W3C Wiki (remember the WAI, etc.). In
the same spirit, the UI is localisable only if you have a wiki account. It
is quite disturbing for anonymous users to have a UI in a language which
is different than the main content.

Those concerns make me just reluctant, not opposed, to publish some not
english content on the W3C Wiki. If you think it's ok and if you think that
language stuff is not a big concern, I'm ready to go on.

> I'm trying to understand the technical constraints and limits.

In my point of view the only thing really missing is a way
to explicitly declare the language of the page's content.

> I don't feel strongly (perhaps until I'm educated on the wiki constraints)
> whether you host your translations on the dev.opera.com wiki, or you carry
> on feeding your Talk page, or you create a real landing page for each
> translation.
>
> However, I have a clear preference for the solution that is the most
> cost-effective and requires the least effort.
>
> For instance, hosting the translation in one place (dev.opera.com) and
> then in another (multilingual w3c wiki) when that other place becomes ready
> means maintaining two locations, or maintaining one and making sure the
> other points to that one area that is maintained.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best ;) As Chris pointed out, it's just
a temporary hosting solution to have it publicly available. When the W3C
will host that content, a simple redirection will do the trick ;) To be
perfectly clear, the intent is to have all the translated content on the
Wiki, but in the mean time, it's a pity to have this content unavailable for
no one.

> I was under the naive assumption (or somebody told me --I thought it was
> you, Jérémie, but I am not finding that e-mail in my archive) that a
> translation has its own URI on the wiki, and that making it the translation
> of a given article via the multinlingual wiki tool was orthogonal.

Yes it was me :)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-evangelist/2011Jul/0030.html

Cheers
--