Re: rephrase "GIF or PNG" slug as an action sentence

On Wednesday, July 11, 2007, 4:22:33 AM, Karl wrote:

KD> Le 11 juil. 2007 à 00:37, Dan Connolly a écrit :
>>   http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif
>>   2006/11/24 01:20:24
>> Er... tips should be sentences of the form "do something", no?

KD> no strong feeling, but why not. It seems reasonable.

>> so perhaps:
>>  Tip of the Day: Choose graphics formats (GIF or PNG) carefully
>> or better:
>>  Tip of the Day: Consider PNG instead of GIF for images

KD> Yep. PNG had a big problem in IE 5 to 6. Alpha channel was not
KD> supported.

It was supported to the extent that GIF was, ie fully transparent colors were indeed transparent.

They made a really poor implementation for semi-transparent colors though.

KD> See IE blog about that
KD> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/04/26/412263.aspx
KD> But as of today, it seems to be a reasonable choice for more people
KD> since the release of IE7.

>> p.s.
>> I'm a bit surprised to see "GIF's strong point is that it is very
>> widely
>> supported and thus well established as the default choice for simple
>> graphics on the Web."

KD> See above.

And not ethat PNG had the same leverl of support that GIF had when the last major browser to add NG support), IE added it in IE4. Netscape added it in Netscape 4.04. Most of the other browsers had it earlier than Netscape.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG