Re: rephrase "GIF or PNG" slug as an action sentence

On Tuesday, July 10, 2007, 5:37:08 PM, Dan wrote:

DC> I'm validating some stuff, and I just got:

DC>   Tip Of The Day: GIF or PNG

DC>   http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif
DC>   2006/11/24 01:20:24

DC> Er... tips should be sentences of the form "do something", no?

DC> so perhaps:

DC>  Tip of the Day: Choose graphics formats (GIF or PNG) carefully

DC> or better:

DC>  Tip of the Day: Consider PNG instead of GIF for images

Yes to either of those.

DC> p.s.
DC> I'm a bit surprised to see "GIF's strong point is that it is very widely
DC> supported and thus well established as the default choice for simple
DC> graphics on the Web."

DC> But that's consistent with the current Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0
DC> Proposed Recommendation:

Yes, unfortunately. From 1995 to 2006 W3C promoted PNG over GIF, and now some parts of W3C are promoting GIF over PNG. I believe this is mainly due to a continuing lack of support from one major mobile carrier.

This is particularly ironic given that IE7 finally added the rest of the PNG support (transparent images) that was half-done in IE5 - IE6.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG