Re: Best Practices in HTML Re: The use of W3C standards in Denmark Part II

Karl,

It could be the philosophy behind the validator has changed, but in Nov. 2002,
I reported that the validator did not check for problems such as links to
fragments that do not exist. (e.g. <a href="#tex"> with no corresponding id=tex
or name=tex in the document).
At the time it was stated that it wasn't a priority for the validator to find
problems such as this, unless it was covered by the DTD. i.e. strictly speaking
it wasn't a validation problem.

(Nov 2002 on the www-validator list.)

So my understanding is that just because a page validates, it doesn't mean that
it is likely error-free.

tex

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 08 mars 2004, à 10:54, Tex Texin a écrit :
> > pages, just validation or disagreement between the page and the DTD.
> > So it is
> > possible for pages to be non-standard or have errors and still
> > validate.
>
> Do you mean with regards to other specifications than HTML like for
> example accessibility?
> or with regards to the semantics defined in each HTML specifications
> (taking into account, there's no conformance section defining that an
> HTML document MUST respect the Semantics of HTML.)
>
> Do you have something else in mind?
>
> > Perhaps there is a need for a "checker" which attempts to identify all
> > possible
> > violations of relevant w3c standards.
>
> What kind of checker would you imagine? How will it operate?
> Automatically, manually?
>
> > Note my point is not (here anyway) to lobby for a change to the
> > standards, but
> > to incorproate into these surveys the opportunities to get insight and
> > explanations for the behaviors found. The info can help the design of
> > future
> > standards or the development of tools to improve migration and
> > upgrading.

> explore possibilities of good markup for HTML.
>
>         http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTMLBestPractices
>
> Someone has already started that and with the contribution of many
> people, he has explored HTML Markup. I'm pretty sure, it could be
> pushed a bit further.
>
>         http://www.simplebits.com/bits/simplequiz/
>
> He will publish a book (PS: I don't know if all people who have
> participated in the comments will have money in return or at least a
> free copy of the book ;)).
>
> --
> Karl Dubost - http://www.w3.org/People/karl/
> W3C Conformance Manager
> *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***

>                  Name: PGP.sig
>    PGP.sig       Type: application/pgp-signature
>              Encoding: 7bit

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898  mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com
Xen Master         XenCraft           http://www.XenCraft.com
Making e-Business Work Around the World