Re: Acting locally : a draft for a new article on W3.org

Mikael Snaprud wrote:

>Hello,
>Thank you for the interesting HAT link.
>
>We are considering to carry out a small assment of Authoring tools by
>analysing some web content. One problem here is that only about 5% of the
>pages we have looked at seem to use the generator tag.
>
>Would you know of some other way to identify what tool has been used to
>generate a page? Perhaps some kind of fingerprint scheme ?

I think it's very difficult to identify the authoring tool automatically
in the absence of a meta generator tag. (And even then, the user can
change the meta tag.) Some tools do leave obvious fingerprints, which
can be identified by examing the code, but others do not. Sorry I
couldn't be more helpful.

Regards,

--

David Knopf ~ Knopf Online ~ San Francisco, CA
mailto:david@knopf.com ~ http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker & WebWorks Publisher
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & wordhelp