Re: PCMag ranks the browsers and says IE6 is the best...

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, 11:33:27 PM, you wrote:
> My concern with IE and other browser like it is that it "fixes" problems
> with code so that Web developers and users never know if there is a
> potentially serious problem with a page such as a missing tag or botched
> code on a secured page that would make the page unsecure.

It shouldn't always be the job of the browser to validate. What do
you suggest MS do? Make IE chuck an error if it finds an invalid tag?
Make thousands of websites instantly stop working and annoy users?

> The last browser to require Web developers to code page correctly
> was Netscape Communicator 4.79.  I still use this browser and,
> because of it I am able to launch top quality Websites.

!

Sorry, why exactly are you on a standards evangelist list? I believe
your definition of correct HTML will differ from just about everyone
else on this list.

> I also find a lot of poorly coded Websites, many of them
> high-profile, corporate Websites!  The frequency of discovery is
> increasing!

Er... lucky you. Or something.

Maybe it isn't in fact they're being marked-up worse, more than
they're moving to standards, and don't work in your broken and
outdated browser?

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/