Re: [Article] Web-Quality v1.1

At 09:46 24/09/2002 +1000, steph wrote:
>(I'm no expert on pipes :D One can use a similar metaphor
>with old cars or railroad tracks - once upon a time (I was told)
>to travel from Melbourne to Sydney you have to change trains at
>the border because the tracks were different widths in the two
>states so the trains which ran in one couldn't run in the other.)

There was a similar situation in England in the 19th Century. GWR used
wider tracks than the other three main railway companies. In London, where
all the networks met, they needed to use track with three rails so that
both widths of cars could fit on them. I've been looking for a picture of
this on the Internet, but couldn't find one.

A more up to date example would be Betamax verses VHS. By going for
propriety standards rather than vendor neutral standards the video industry
was divided.

Neither of those are quite the same as the situation wrt web standards, but
there are parallels.

Andrew

--
Andrew McFarland