Re: [Article] Web-Quality v1.1

Hi Karl, Hi all.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002, Karl Dubost wrote:
> a few corrections, minor updates to the article Web-Quality
> 	http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/Web-Quality

Good. Since you don'y publish a "new document" each time (and thus kep
the URI) a small changelog at the end of the document would be a nice
addition.

> I would like to add two points, but I need your help.
>
> * "Major companies have invalid websites. They don't care about
> standards, why I should care?"
>
> * "I'm working in the real world, I'm doing business with real
> clients and they don't care about standards, they want something that
> works."

These 2 questions can basically summarized with "nobody cares, why
should I", and the obvious answer is (crudely said) "you are a sheep".
Then you can add "the rest of the herd is stupid, stop being a sheep" or
"the other sheeps are starting to move forward, be a leader among
sheeps", depending om whom you want to target (happy or unhappy sheeps).

I have, however, a problem with those questions. The other questions are
specific problems for specific people, whereas this question ("nobody
cares, why should I") is *the* global question behind non-standard
conformance, and if you can find a good, convincing answer, then the
whole E&O effort here and everywhere else has reached its goal, thank
you, you can go home now.

Seriously, even though there have been good ideas on this list to answer
this question, you will never be able to answer it completely and
properly. The interest of your document is that it's not yet another
(empty) statement saying "standards are good, follow standards!",
instead it says why (explaining real-life cases) and how.

you should keep it this way IMHO.

cheers, olivier.
--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C