Re: Pushing for accessibility inside a financial company.

Hi,

Isofarro wrote:

>I'm working for a UK based financial company. People in here are starting to
>wake up about accessibility,

[snip] on a(nother) web accessibility disaster

>I've drafted up a discussion paper laying out my position.
>
>My current paper is sitting on:
>http://www.isolani.co.uk/articles/accessibility.html (I've removed the
>company name - in case someone gets funny). My argument is essentially that
>a standards based approach is a better alternative to creating a fully
>accessible website than "adding on accessibility" to an already broken
>website.
>
>Any comments, suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

First, this is a great article. I learned a lot with the "legal history"
thing. This may be the kind of ammo to hit the marketeers with. :-)

When you mention PDF not being accessible, you may want to be more
specific, as it looks like Adobe is making progress in this field

see http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/pdfaccess.pdf ,
 http://access.adobe.com/ and http://www.pdfzone.com/news/101078.html

When you mention that Javascript is needed for navigation, you may link
to http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/April/javas.php , which states
that 11% of people do not use javascript while browsing. That would make
marketeers think, maybe. Oh wait, they decided not to support macs :-(

Cheers,

--Tristan
PS : sometimes I feel I'm not the only Don Quijote around ;-)

--
Netscape Technology and Standards evangelist, Europe.
http://developer.netscape.com/  : cross-browser techniques.