RE: SWAD Europe Marketing

>At 11:17 AM 11/29/02 +0000, Libby Miller wrote:
>>I rather like these:
>>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/elogo/tangletoy.html

They do look fun.

>Before I read this, I was thinking of something that could also illustrate
>the utility of RDF.

A very good idea. Just prior to Rubik cubes hitting the big time I got one
through a small ad somewhere (back of New Scientist?), along with an
explanatory booklet. The booklet was more like an academic paper, delving
pretty deeply into group theory. I struggled through the booklet, learning
stuff I'd have dismissed as just too difficult/dull if it hadn't been for
the wonderful cube.

>I think this tangle toy probably has a number of topological states that:
>(a) could be identified using URIs
>(b) their relationships could be described using RDF, e.g. in terms of
>loop-twists or some suchlike maneouvre
>(c) sequences of operations to change from one state to another might be
>derived using a standard RDF tool like cwm or Euler.
>
>Do we have a mathematician of sufficient skill to work out the details?

>Another thought I had along similar lines was one of those tile puzzles,
>where you "move the hole around" to obtain some well-ordered
>arrangement of
>tiles.  (e.g. the RDF-logo?)  Again, linked to RDF descriptions of the
>states and solvable using standard off-the-shelf (or off-the-web)
>RDF tools.

Anyone done RDF for finite state machines??

I did see a lovely toy the other day, actually nodes & arcs. The arcs were
bar magnets covered in coloured plastic, the nodes ball bearings.
Unfortunately they were about ?10 for half a dozen of each.

The only thing I can think of to suggest is e-SW angle grinders.
(Coincidentally, there some work I need to do on some concrete ledges in our
cellar). Cementic Web, anyone?

Cheers,
Danny.