Re: TGN place types (broader/narrower spanning ConceptSchemes)

On 16/04/2014 15:27, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
> Hi Richard!
>
>>> There are no standard types to state "Period of use/existence/activity of something", such as:
> - use of an Appellation or Title
> - life of a Person
> - floruit of a Person
> - period of group membership or profession of a Person (e.g. reign)
>> Wouldn't you just model these as Event or Activity, and then use the standard mechanism you describe above?
> In CRM there are standard classes & properties for Birth, Death, identifier Assignment / Deassignment.
> But there are no standard classes & properties for Life period, period of Use of an identifier/title/etc.

We probably ought to take this discussion off to the CRM-SIG list ...

Surely they aren't so much "standard classes" as "classes with
pre-defined types"? The CRM is amenable to any class being sub-classed
through association with a suitable E55 Type, and (IIUC) E67 Birth is
equivalent to E63 Beginning of Existence with E55 Type='birth'.

"Life period" could be defined as a published CRM class if there is
sufficient demand for it, and if it was felt by the SIG to be in scope.
Until such time as that happens, it can be modelled as E7 Activity with
E55 Type = 'life period'.  (The problem with that is more to do with
suitable properties; the E39 Actor in an E7 Activity is seen as an
active, rather than passive, participant in the activity.)

Similarly, the CRM could be seen as being weak in the area of describing
the usage of ontologies.  The one specific concept which is supported is
the declaration of a "type" (E83), with a strong taxonomic influence.
But then, should the CRM be asked to undertake this role, or should we
instead use frameworks like VOAF, which are designed specifically to
describe vocabularies?

Richard
--
*Richard Light*